Sunday, May 24, 2009

An interview with... Stephanie!

So finally! A new interview again. This time with a 28 year old girl from New Zealand with such an amazing style. I know I can't have favorites from all the girls who I've did an interview with, but she really is. And I was already doubting a while to colour my hair a totally different colour and looking at her hair makes me want to do it right now here in my bathroom. Seriously. And I'm even scared to cut my hair just a little bit. But I'm going to stop writing about it and I'm going to show it! Here's the interview! Have fun reading it! And one more thing... If I could, I would wear everything she wears. Oh god, it makes me want to change my style immediatly.

Tell us something about yourself.
Name: Stephanie

Age:
28

Occupation: Policy Advisor – Basically I work in politics, providing policy advice to elected representatives. This largely consists of research, report writing and (eventually) policy and strategy development.

Lives: New Zealand

Hobbies: Shopping, playing with my dog Archie, reading, eating out, watching old tv shows and movies and mucking about on the internet
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
What does fashion and beautiful clothes mean to you?
Fun, glamour and escapism! I absolutely adore getting dressed up but don’t take it too seriously. I have fairly firm ideas about what I like so don’t wholly adopt trends – just combining elements to complement my overall style. I love the power of beautiful clothing and accessories – that feeling you get when your outfit comes together perfectly and you feel fantastic!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
How would you describe your personal style?
Mostly romantic I guess, although I don’t rigidly subscribe to just one look. I can be a little eclectic at times but I am always unashamedly girly! My biggest fear is looking boring and / or cheap and my love of drama, frill and flounce means that I can’t remember the last time I wore a t-shirt!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Which item in your closet couldn't you live without?
One is newly acquired and the other I have had for a few years now. When I talked to my Mum about this question she said it should be a ‘basic’ but as I don’t really do basics and because I would be devastated to lose either of these items I had to go with them!.

The first is a Chanel jacket which I recently purchased from an excellent consignment store in Wellington (totally blowing the budget I had set myself for that weekend’s shopping trip in the process! Eek!). I absolutely love it though, it fits me like a dream, is so timelessly chic and I know that I will have it for years and years to come.

The other ‘must have’ is a bit more sentimental but also a classic. When I finished my Masters degree and left University I saved my pay from my first ‘proper job’ so that I could buy my first designer handbag. My boyfriend and I went to Auckland and even though I baulked at the price to start with (and finally doing away with all that I had saved) I came away with a Louis Vuitton black leather epi handbag. I specifically opted for a style that wouldn’t date and I am still so happy with my purchase. Even though I have bought many designer purchases since then – and blown many, many pays, it will always be a favourite!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
For what piece of clothing that hangs in your closet, do you feel the most ashamed of?
I don’t really feel ashamed of anything in my closet – but that is probably because I had a big clear out before I went travelling last year and not a reflection of me never having made a miss-step! Creativity should certainly be celebrated but I was probably a little too heavy on the creativity and a little less good at casting a critical ‘style eye’ over my outfits when I was younger – mind you I am sure that in 10 years time I will be equally mortified by some of the fashion choices I am making now (which is why I don’t fret too much about fashion!).
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Do you often have miss-buys or do you wear everything you buy?
These days I pretty much wear everything I buy. I think this is because I am so comfortable with my style – I know what I like, I know what I will wear and I don’t really make impulse purchases. I think recently giving myself a monthly shopping budget is helping too as it makes me analyze every fashion spend and I am doing more planning in advance. I still can’t help but blow my budget in the first few days of each month though!! Wardrobe_remix has been a catalyst too – I am more likely to hunt out items I haven’t worn in a while rather than relying on old favourites.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Did you ever had the feeling you wanted to fit as for clothing, because you don't look like the avarage person you see walking on the street?
No. I hate looking drab and boring and don’t have a pressing desire to ‘fit in’ in other facets of my life either – I am very comfortable being me! I don’t deliberately try to be different either though – I just know what I like. I certainly get the ‘once over’ a lot, especially because I don’t live in a big city and I do tend to get dressed up a bit more than the average person when I go to the supermarket etc. but I am so excited by clothing that I will take any excuse to drum up a fashion opportunity
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Did you ever had unpleasent comments on your clothing, and if so, how did/do you deal with it?
Yes! Very recently too! I was a target of the ‘wardrobe rejects’ bully who has been mocking the wardrobe_remixers on Flickr. I was initially pretty hurt and embarrassed – it’s certainly jarring to be critiqued so publicly – but then I realized that I am not always going to get it right, that I would hate to have cookie-cutter style that generated no comment at all and that not everyone is going to like what I wear. It still felt kind of invasive though after finding such an inclusive, positive and wonderful community of women on Flickr. Plus I am huge believer in the old adage that “if you don’t have anything nice to say then you shouldn’t say anything at all!”
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Maybe tips for the people who want to wear their own style, but are afraid?
Do it, do it, do it! Have fun with your clothing and try new things – make some time to try out different combinations in the privacy of your room (where you can be as creative as you dare and with most probably never seeing the harsh light of day!). Trying new things can be slightly uncomfortable to start with though, particularly if you are used to seeing yourself in a certain way, but a bit of risk taking with clothing should be encouraged – and what’s the worst that can happen?! A few misfires could lead to some truly cool looks! You do have to feel comfortable (and that doesn’t mean track pants and scuffs) in what you’re wearing though otherwise what’s the point??
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
What's your favorite trend right now?
I am loving the return of big shoulders! Oooh…Balmain! I am a very all or nothing person so when it comes to doing big or adorned I am pretty much always in. I like simple and elegant too but if I am going to do something then I am going to commit to it! Increasingly architectural shoes are making me swoon too.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Which trend do you think is awful?
I don’t think there is a truly awful trend. There are some things that I like less than others….but that’s mainly because I know they won’t suit me or I am too old for it or I have seen too much of it, etc. etc.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Do you have a fashion icon? Or a website you get inspiration from?

So many! I am a sponge for fashion inspiration….

Jane
from Sea of Shoes (and her equally stylish Mum Judy at Atlantis Home)
My stunning friend Fi at Gypsy Fabulous

Nini’s Style
and Hahn.
Katie from What I Wore

And more recently the sisters from
Beckerman Bite Plate

Oh and The Glamourai

Plus the usual suspects like The Satorialist and Jak and Jil and all the stylish ladies from wardrobe_remix
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Is there something you would like to say to the people who read this?
Please drop by my Flickr Photostream!I love talking fashion with people from all over the world and checking out other people's photostreams and blogs - and thanks for reading!!

And now, after I post this, I'm going to make some new outfits, now I'm so incredibly inspired by Stephanie.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right: she's awesome!

Rain said...

OMG....In every pic she's got a total different look! And everything looks great on her!

I especially love her in the first pic (with the lace dress), orange outfit, the one in lacie top, and the one dress in shiny horzontal stripes!

She's inspiration for a lot of girls!

x

amy said...

I love how her outfits compliment her hair color and beautiful lips. I also love how her pose, and atmosphere is exactly the same in each picture, but with a different style. Very neat and interesting to look at! Great post Sam!

xoxoxoxox

Cindy Khor said...

she really has a huge sense of fashion, her outfits are just great (same like yours) and i like how serious she is by answering your questions... detailing everything...

Winnie said...

Wow she has such wonderful pieces in her wardrobe!

Eyeliah said...

She has been a fabulous addition to wardrobe remix! Thanks for doing this interview, its great to learn more about her!!!

Miss Mae said...

she is adorable! Great style!

<3

Fashionisaparty.com (Suz) said...

echt super mooi allemaal! ik snap wel dat het jouw ding is ;).
x

Unapologetically Mara said...

Ohm this is quite nice. And yes, she is pretty much amazing. I love people who are not afraid to risk and wear whatever they like.

Sasi said...

Yeah, she's really a great inspiration, and has an amazing style!

Anonymous said...

Great interview. I am very jealous of Stephanies beautiful red hair - no fair, I want it! I would also like her wardrobe! If possible!

Marmelindela said...

Super, inderdaad!

Ik heb je gelinkt, ben blij dat je gewoon door gaat met je blog. x

Nini's Style said...

Great interview. I read her blog and love her style.
xxxx
Nini

Fräulein Luise said...

She is already under my contacts at flickr. I also love her every day unique outfit style. She is not focused on this or that.

Caithlin said...

Wow, she's got style.

Esmée said...

She got really great looks! Echt prachtig dat ze steeds zo'n andere stijl heeft, en wat een uitgebreid interview!

xxx

Joni said...

The dress in the first picture is so amazing!
Great style, very unique and different.

Dexter said...

I knew I have seen her somewhere, when she mentioned Flickr, I realized, yepp, Flickr it was. She really has a great wardrobe with style!

Fiona said...

Stephanie is the only person I know who dresses like a fabulous movie star every day.. she really is inspirational! And I love that she doesn't care what anyone thinks and just wears whatever she wants, without feeling she has to conform to particular trends. She is her own trend!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Wat een stijl! Ze is erg inspirerend en puur!

elena-lu said...

i've loved her style in flickr WR group and this was an awesome interview! yay! thanks!